A few interesting facts from rich Dubrovnik history
- English King Richard the Lionheart came to Dubrovnik in the 1192 and found shelter on the Island of Lokrum in front of the walls of the Old Town Dubrovnik
- One of the first European sewage systems was built in Dubrovnik
- Old pharmacy which was founded 1317 is one of the oldest in Europe.
- First quarantine in the world was founded in Dubrovnik 1377.
- Dubrovnik was first in Europe to prohibit slavery in 15th century.
- Dubrovnik fleet of around 200 big ships was among the biggest in 16th century.
- English word argosy which was used for naming big ships in the past comes from the word Ragusa (old name of the Dubrovnik republic)
- Dubrovnik Republic was the first state in the world that recognized USA in 18th century.